Friday, March 23, 2012

Spring Units

What a weird winter we had this year. I began talking about the signs of spring at the beginning of March since the weather had been spring like all winter. Yes, we had a snow storm on Leap Day this year and a Snow day on March 1st but not long after the snow melted and quickly the weather turn warm, sunny and beautiful. Since Spring came so early I began my spring unit a little earlier then normal. What are your favorite spring units? Do you focus on weather, plants, animal babies, rainbows, or a mixture of both?

This year, I was tired of all my same units and activities  that I went in search of new activities. I found some great flower activities, rain activities, rainbows,  and St. Patrick’s day, but my favorite addition to my spring unit was a study of animals that hatch. We focused on duckling, chicks and eaglets. All this last week, we have been keeping an eye on three different  Eagle cams watching eaglets that have just hatched, watching the eggs to see them hatch,  and learning about the nest. I might have enjoyed it more then my kids.

I choose four books to go along with this unit to help introduce each animals (Make Way for Ducklings, Five little Ducks, I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Chick, and Horton Hatches an Egg.) Since I don’t have a good book on Eagles I created  a power point with silly facts and real fact about eagles and we came up with an action for if they thought the fact was silly or if it was real. They get so into trying to figure out what the answer is. I also put our art projects out in the hall with the word HATCHED  for all to see.

Next week we will focus on Frogs and Turtles. I am tempted to purchase turtles and frogs for my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment